Property management conferences are valuable opportunities to grow your professional network, gain industry insights, and improve your business skills. However, making the most of these events requires more than just showing up.
In this blog post, we'll share three essential tips to get the most out of the conference experience.
1. Don't Skip on the Prepwork
The first step in getting the most out of a property management conference is to thoroughly prepare before the event. This means researching the conference agenda, identifying the sessions you want to attend, and setting goals for your experience. Here are some ways to prepare for the conference:
- Research the Agenda: Start by reviewing the conference agenda and identifying the sessions that interest you the most. By doing this, you can create a personalized schedule that will help you stay organized and focused during the conference.
- Set Goals for the Conference: Determine what you want to achieve at the conference. Are you looking to expand your professional network, learn about new industry trends, or find solutions to specific challenges you're facing in your business? Once you've identified your goals, write them down and keep them in mind throughout the event. This will help ensure that you stay focused on what's most important to you.
- Download the Conference App (if available): Does your conference have an app to help attendees navigate the event and sign up for special events? Make sure you download it to get the most out of the conference experience.
- Reach Out to Speakers and Attendees in Advance: Don't wait until the conference starts to begin networking. Reach out to speakers and other attendees in advance through social media or the conference's networking app, if available. Introduce yourself, express your interest in their work, and let them know you're looking forward to connecting at the conference. This can help lay the groundwork for valuable connections during the event.
2. Network, Network, Network
Once you’re at the conference, take advantage of every opportunity to network with other attendees, speakers, and exhibitors. This is a powerful way to forge new connections, learn from industry experts, and discover potential business opportunities.
To help you make the most of your networking experience, here are some basic pointers:
- Develop an elevator pitch to introduce yourself and your business
- Attend conference networking events
- Participate in roundtable discussions
- Engage with others attendees on social media or through the conference app
- Exchange business cards
- Connect on LinkedIn
3. Take Notes and Identify Actionable Steps
Throughout the conference, take notes on the sessions you attend and any valuable insights you gain. This will help you remember important information and allow you to share your learnings with colleagues who didn't attend the conference. Also, consider using social media to share highlights and takeaways with your online network, which can further demonstrate your industry expertise.
After the conference, take the time to review your notes and identify the key takeaways that are most relevant to your business. Determine how you can apply these insights to improve your property management operations, and create a list of actionable steps to implement these changes. This could look like reaching out to your new connections with personalized messages on LinkedIn, or scheduling a demo for a new tool that should streamline your business operations.
Upcoming Property Management Conferences
- Community Associations Institute: CommunityNOW | Dallas, Texas | May 17-20, 2023 | BuildingLink Booth #1116
- National Apartment Association: Apartmentalize | Atlanta, Georgia | June 7-9, 2023
Partner with BuildingLink
Create a thriving and successful community that meets the needs of residents and owners with streamlined operations and maximized revenue.
Trusted by HOAs, co-ops, condominiums, and multifamily properties around the globe, BuildingLink helps property managers deliver superior resident experiences while streamlining maintenance and operations. We offer tools that will simplify your record-keeping and administration, communications, maintenance, and front desk and staff operations.
When you’re ready to run your building better, smarter, and faster, book your BuildingLink demo today.